Search This Blog

Friday, March 8, 2013

LOG DATE FRIDAY, 3/8/13



The second round of Sutent is better than the first.  From my phenomenal point of view it bothers the GI tract and the skin foremost; from the doc’s point of view it is a danger to the heart and liver.  But we’re not so worried this time.  It might work and I might be able to live with the side-effects.

I manage to get to work and back today and it was good to see my co-workers even though we can see my eventual retirement coming.  It’s a strange time that one doesn’t get to rehearse or repeat.

There’s a curious reaction I want to mention, I have no name for it right now.  I’ve listened and read enough to know that for many people cancer becomes a battle, a crusade, a fight of good against evil.  I don’t know why but I don’t have that feeling.  It’s not that I wouldn’t love it if the Sutent worked.  And cancer does rather take over one’s consciousness.  But not entirely.  There are plenty of times when I feel that the big C is just another piece of the context, just another of the many things beyond my control which I have to deal with.  And then I think: what else is anyone else doing, but dealing the best they can with what they are given.